Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Xxapollinexx's wardrobe post

Xxapollinexx is a hime lolita, which means that when she really sets out to dress up she emerges from the house looking like the kind of fairy princess little girls dream of becoming when they grow up. Pastel-themed froth, sparkle, accessories such as pearls and fans and little tiaras, bouffant hair with a pile of floral corsages  if not wearing a Victorian satellite bonnet. I tried to bring some of that style of elegance when my friend asked me to design her a perfume bottle in her favourite colour, pink.

Here is the the (un)original sketch...

xxapollinexx's wardrobe post banner sketch
...which marinated in my brain for a week before I decided, no good, it needs to be something a bit more dynamic.

xxapollinexx's wardrobe post banner 01

Mad colouring time!!

xxapollinexx's wardrobe post banner 02
I associate Xxapollinexx with yellow because she has beautiful blonde hair, but this didn't seem right. Too genie-ish. Not 'her' at all.

But I was running out of time. I got up at 5.30p.m. yesterday morning; work lasted from 8.30a.m. to 7.30p.m. Throw in the deadly commute and you get a very tired person indeed. By that time it was already 11p.m.

xxapollinexx's wardrobe post banner 03
Even now I'm second-guessing myself, wondering if it would have turned out better if I'd left the smoke at that psychadelic yellow. Too late.

As for the final product -- well, it's decent, but not perfect. I'm really not very proud of this banner and I would have liked the opportunity to redo it, but I have an assignment due tomorrow that I haven't started on yet, and the month is almost as good as over! But Xxapollinexx said she liked it. ;__; I'll do better next time, Xxapollinexx, I promise.

In the future I will not take on more than three commissions a month. This time I promised five people because I forgot that there was going to be a deadline to begin with, and it serves me right.

Now I have to make a poster for my service-learning group. It will not turn up here because it will look very boring. Help, assignment due tomorrow... damn you, wardrobe meme month.

OK, I go.


Edit: wardrobe here!

No comments:

Post a Comment