Thursday, January 10, 2013

Carmidoll's wardrobe post

I've found that a good way of making myself do art is to have people ask these favours of me. So if you are reasonably good friends and want something done, just ask (and treat me to cake!)

The request was for something with a gingerbread house in it. This friend lives in a cold, cold place with lots of snow, and the outfit she's wearing in this picture is something I once saw in her photos on Facebook! She likes pink, too, so I put lots of that in.


carmidoll's wardrobe post banner 01

Pink! The colour was a sort of template for what I wanted, but I knew from the start that the background had to be fibrous and watercoloury. It was just one of those things. Fortunately, I had some stock that fit the bill just right. Cut, paste, colour adjustment, voila. Oh, and the gingerbread house.

carmidoll's wardrobe post banner 02

The lolipop trees were in the plan all along. I was worried that the picture would get overcrowded afterwards, but I compared these two versions and found that I preferred having the them in.

carmidoll's wardrobe post banner 03

At this point, I was almost tempted to just add snow and stop, but something seemed missing. There is no art without perfectionism, so I pushed on.

Final version:

carmidoll's wardrobe post banner fin

The background reminds me of watermelon. I love watermelon.

This is one of the few times that something has turned out almost exactly as I'd imagined it in my head. I'm getting better at using textures, too. I need to do more art!!

The actual wardrobe is here. Have a peek. Carmidoll's got great taste in clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment